Masters in Education or Teaching Licensure in Korea

So Im trying to find info on trying to get my master's in education or a teaching licensure to teach back home in the states or Canada. I've heard some things from people and have serached the internet. Just wanted to see if anyone had any legit info. Weather an online program or doing the program at a university in Busan or somewhere in Korea. Thanks. Any info would help.

my findings on distance ed

hey I have been looking at programs online for a few months now.  There are lots of MEds that don't lead to licensure in Canada or the US.  Curriculum is a popular one to do online.  

As for getting a licensure I found a few from the US - none at all from Canada as no province will certify you through distance alone.  I am not sure how the teaching cert will translate from the US to Canada either but what I was told from BC was that it won't and in Ont you need a certain portion of your education face2face, 

Anyway I found 2 programs that fit my lifestyle (I am Canadian, so citizenship was a factor).  University of Southern Caifornia and Montana State University.  I will apply to Montanna aim to start in Feb, 

I found a list of schools in the US and started searching from here


Good luck in your search.  It is possible, just took a fair amount of digging to find the information.







Check the Australian programs.  U of Tasmania has a Masters in Ed fully online.  Plus the Australian Ed programs online or not have a good reputation.

You can get a masters in

You can get a masters in Education from ACE here while in Korea. You can even do your teaching practicum in Korea, if you have a good relationship with your supervisor.  And he/she can do the evaluation, provided they are willing to do the extra work. 

You can also apply for a temporary license from Guam.  They are part of the 35 stae reciprocal agreement.  You can take the Praxis in Seoul.  You have to send them a special letter asking them to send the test to the testing center.  

And a third option, a colleague of mine applied for a masters teaching certificate program in Louisiana, you get ppaid full time while going to college for two years,  Then you teach in Louisiana for two years.  Sorry, I don't have the prgram information for you.

Also at the militay base in Ansan, the University of Maryland has classes.    

Teaching In Canada

First of all, I'm from BC, doing my Masters at The University of York in England (Medieval Literature).  I was initially planning to teach at the High School level (8-12), but have set my sights higher in light of a year of teaching at a University in China (and my general disdain for the primary/secondary school system and the changes taking place to it in Canada).

First of all, before discussing programs, let me make two things clear.  #1 - Having a Masters if you want to teach primary or secondary school is not a guarantee (and in fact makes you less employable, at least in BC because they have to pay you an extra 3-5K a year starting wage) and #2 - most Universities won't let you teach with just a Masters.  I've even looked at colleges since most of the ones I knew of had teachers who held only Masters degrees.  This does not seem to be the case anymore, though certain programs are obviously exceptions due to high need and few people.  If you're doing Arts though, forget about it.  Arts Degrees are like bellybuttons - everyone has one.

If you plan to teach in the primary/secondary level, you need (at least in BC, though I can't see why other provinces would be different on this one) to undertake the PDP program.  This comes in a One and Two year version - the two year version gives you a Bachelor of Education to go along with whatever other requirements you have.  To apply to this program, you need volunteer experience in the given curriculum you wish to teach - the Simon Fraser University PDP program gave me no credit for teaching in China because it wasn't the BC curriculum.  Those bastards.  You also need a first aid ticket of some type and a teachable degree subject if you didn't do a generalist degree (ie. B.Ed.).  Depending on the teachable subject (ie. English or History), you may need something else to make yourself more saleable - I did a minor in Kinesiology, which opens up the door to teaching Phys Ed.  Others take Home Economics courses (ie. cooking, sewing) or Dance or Drama.

Suffice to say, no matter what qualifications you have, without the PDP program, you won't be recognized by the BCTF (BC Teacher's Federation) and therefore won't be able to work in that particular province.  I'm not certain if that is the same throughout the rest of Canada, but I wouldn't be surprised.  A simple look for PDP Programs at prominent Canadian Universities will answer that question.  So if you wanted to teach, you would need to fulfill that program requirement (at least at primary and secondary levels).

If you are looking to teach at University or Collegiate level, again, your degree makes a difference.  Arts Degrees are so common that job placement is pretty difficult, unless you're a researcher and can generate University fame by cultivating your own.  Odds are you will still require a PhD to do this - either that or you'll have to select somewhere that is quite a ways from any major urban populace.

If you want, I can link the SFU and UBC PDP programs so you can look them over.  These cannot be done via Distance Ed since part of the program is in class teaching with a monitor.



the montana program

hey jakerue,

did you start the montana HPTT program?  i have contacted them twice, but they have never replied.  thanks

in progress

 yep elmobuzz I have started it.  Working on the second course now.  I am expecting your email was caught as spam or their email was caught as spam on your end. Call them and ask for Jamie O'Callaghan - she is extremely helpful.


I just finished my Master of Education in IT online from MUN, good program and the tuition is cheap (under $10,000 total), you can also do a Master of Education in Post Secondary Studies as well as a few other areas:

 No, it doesn't qualify you

 No, it doesn't qualify you for certification anywhere, you would still have to do another year somewhere for a BEd,  you may be able to skip some of the courses though. 

 Framingham State College

 Framingham State College offers an in-class Master of Ed. TESL at Korea University (Jochiwon Campus). It caters to teachers here by offering intensive two week sessions (2 courses, 8hrs/day) in Aug. and Feb. They fly the professors here. Tuition is about $5500 US. I completed the program and found it to be solid. In-class programs are preferable as there is a growing (though, I believe, unfounded)  trend towards not recognizing on-line and distance ed. degrees here and in other countries. 


Hope this is helpful.

2 weeks to gain a masters?

2 weeks to gain a masters? That in itself is suspect. I don't care how intense it is, something that should take a year and a half or two condensed into two weeks just doesn't sound right.  

Why did I waste four years getting my BA? According to this college and their logic, I could have done it in 4weeks, saved three years and eleven months and a shit load of money. 

Re: Masters in Education or Teaching Licensure in Korea

I'm halfway through my masters in Language Education and TESOL from Indiana University.  The program is solid.  The courses are comprehensive and it will definitely improve your teaching.  It won't give you licensure, but it will give you the necessary coursework and knowledge for both the Praxis exam and probably a temporary teaching cert (depending on state/country).

IU has a lot of distance programs.  The one I am doing is here: