Have you ever been head-over-heels in love or missed your loved ones? Try saying “I love you in Korean to make an impact on your crush.
The Korean phrase 사랑해 (saranghae) is the most common way to say I love you in Korean. But there are other cute ways to say I love you that can be more specific or personal.
We have got you covered with our quick guide on the best ways to say “I love you”, which will melt your beautiful loved one’s heart with examples and exercises.
Let’s get started!
How To Say I Love You In Korean
사랑해요 means “I love you” in Korean. It is polite and respectful to say this to your parents, grandparents, or teachers. 사랑해 is more casual and is used when talking to someone you are close to, like your boyfriend or girlfriend. The formal way to say “I love you” in Korean is 사랑합니다. You would use this when talking to someone older or with a higher status than you, in lyrics, in Korean advertisements, or when bands tell crowds “I love you” at concerts.
Here is the common way to say I love you in Korean in formal, casual, and polite ways.
- The Casual way – 사랑해(saranghae)
- The Polite way – 사랑해요(saranghaeyo)
- The Formal way– 사랑합니다.(saranghamnida)
What Is Saranghaeyo Korean?
"사랑해요" (sa-rang-hae-yo) is a common way to say "I love you" in Korean. It is used to express romantic love or affection for someone, and can be used in both casual and formal settings.
The word "사랑" (sa-rang) means "love," and the word "해요" (hae-yo) is a polite way of saying "do" or "say" in Korean. So, the phrase "사랑해요" (sa-rang-hae-yo) literally means "I do love" or "I say love."
Here are a few example sentences using "사랑해요" (sa-rang-hae-yo):
- 저는 너를 사랑해요. (jeo-neun neo-reul sa-rang-hae-yo.) (I love you.)
- 저의 여자친구는 저를 사랑해요. (jeo-ui yeo-ja-chin-gu-neun jeo-reul sa-rang-hae-yo.) (My girlfriend loves me.)
- 우리 아들은 우리 엄마를 사랑해요.our son loves our mother."
Saranghae In Korean
The most common way to say “I love you” in Korean is 사랑해 (sa-rang-hae). This is the informal way of saying “I love you” in Korean. This means that you can use this with people close to you and people younger than you. For example, with your girlfriend or boyfriend, with your husband or wife, you can use the informal way to say “I love you” because you are already very close to them. use towards your sweetheart, friends, and people your age or younger.
You can also use this informal way to tell family members, such as brothers, sisters, and parents that you love them.
You could say 나 너 사랑해. (na neo saranghae.)/널 사랑해. (neol saranghae.)
Or you can substitute “you” with the listener’s name and add 아 or 야 after the
I love you, minji.
민지야, 사랑해. (minjiyah, saranghae.)
Meaning Of Saranghamnida
사랑합니다(saranghamnida) means I love you in Korean. It is the most formal way. You can use this word to address, just those with higher status or those who are older than you. It’s also used when talking to large groups and audiences like bands telling crowds “I love you” at concerts.
If you want to confess someone just say the sentence 저는 당신을 사랑해요. (jeoneun dangsineul saranghaeyo).
저 (jeo)means r “I”, and 당신(dangsin) is the honorific term for “you”.
You can just substitute “you” with the listener’s name + 씨
- I love you, name.
- name+ 씨 사랑해요. (xx ssi saranghaeyo.)
Or you can also address the person as 오빠 or 누나
- I love you, oppa
- 오빠/누나 사랑해요. (oppa/nuna saranghaeyo.)
Other Indirect Ways To Say I Love You In Korean
Besides saying I Love You directly, you can also express your feelings to the other person in indirect ways.
- You’re pretty. 예뻐요. (yeppeoyo.)
- You’re handsome. 잘 생겼어요. (jal saenggyeoseoyo.)
- Would you go out with me?-저랑 사귈래요? (jeorang sagwilraeyo?)
- I want to be with you. 같이 있고 싶어요. (gachi itgo sipeoyo.)
- I miss you. 보고 싶어요. (bogo sipeoyo.)
- You’re beautiful. 아름다워요. (areumdawoyo.)
- You’re looking good. 멋있어요.
How To Say I Love You Very Much In Korean
If you want to say I Love You Very Much., simply add the degree modifier 너무(neomu) or 많이 (mani) means very much, a lot before the verb.
- I love you a lot.
- 많이 사랑해요. (mani saranghaeyo.)
- I love you very much.
- 너무 사랑해요. (neomu saranghaeyo.)
Essential Korean Words Related To Love
Here’s a list of common words that you’ll hear in Korean dating, from cute words to serious lifelong commitments. This vocabulary will be extremely useful when you’re dating in Korea.
- Lover- 연인-yeonin
- My love – 내 사랑 (nae sarang)
- First love-첫사랑 (cheotsarang).
- Husband – 남편 (nampyeon)
- Wife – 아내 (anae)
- Special someone– 아끼는 사람 (akkineun saram)
- Honey- 여보-yeobo
- Love letter-연애 편지-yeon-ae pyeonji
- relationship-관계 (gwangye).
- secret crush- 짝사랑-[jjaksarang]
- Date(romantic)- 데이트 [De-i-t]
- Romantic- 로맨틱한 (romantikhan) and 낭만적인 (nangmanjeokin)
- Blind date- 소개팅[Sogaeting]
- Couple- 커플[keopeul]
- kiss (quick peck)-뽀뽀 [ppoppo]
- Love triangle-삼각관계[samgakkkwangye]
- player-바람둥이 (baramdungi)
남자 친구[ Namjachingu] – “Boyfriend”In Korean
남자 친구 (namjachingu) is the Korean word for "boyfriend." It is made up of the word 남자 (namja), which means "man," and 친구 (chingu), which means "friend." Together, the phrase refers to a romantic and/or sexual relationship between two people, with one person being a man and the other being a woman. In
Korean culture, it is common for people to refer to their romantic partners as 친구 (chingu) rather than using more formal or specific terms like "husband" or "wife."
Butkorean also calls their partner Oppa this can mean “boyfriend” or older brother. But Husband” in Korean is 남편[nampyeon].
여자 친구[Yeojachingu]-Girlfriend” In Korean
여자 친구" (yeo-ja chin-gu) is the Korean phrase for "girlfriend."
The word "여자" (yeo-ja) means "woman" or "female," and the word "친구" (chin-gu) means "friend." Together, "여자 친구" (yeo-ja chin-gu) refers to a female friend who is in a romantic relationship with the speaker.
Here are a few example sentences using "여자 친구" (yeo-ja chin-gu):
- 저의 여자 친구는 저를 사랑해요. (jeo-ui yeo-ja chin-gu-neun jeo-reul sa-rang-hae-yo.) (My girlfriend loves me.)
- 저의 여자 친구는 의사예요. (jeo-ui yeo-ja chin-gu-neun ui-sa-ye-yo.) (My girlfriend is a doctor.)
- 저의 여자 친구와 저는 잘 어울리죠. (jeo-ui yeo-ja chin-gu-wa jeo-neun jal eo-ul-li-jyo.) (My girlfriend and I suit each other well.)
For a woman who’s really just a friend, you might use 여자 사람 친구 (“yeo-ja-sa-ram-chin-gu”), which means “female person friend.”
Cute Korean Phrases To Show Your Love
- I’ve got a crush on you
- 너에게 반했어Neo-ege banhaesseo
- Everything alright?
- 별일 없지?Byeolil eobji?
- I think of you as more than a friend
- 나는 너를 친구 이상으로 생각해- Naneun neoreul chingu isangeuro saengakhae
- Can I hug you?
- 안아도 돼?-Anado dwe?
- You are my ideal type!
- 너는 내 이상형이야!- noneun nae isanghyongiya
- Will you marry me?
- 나랑 결혼할래?- Narang gyeor-hon hallae?
- I will give you a hug
- Kiss me please
- 뽀뽀해 줘- ppoppohae jwo
- I want to be with you
- 같이 있고 싶어- gachi itgo sipeo
- Can I Kiss you?
- 키스해도 돼?- Kiss-haedo dwe?
- I would like to spend more time with you
- 너랑 더 오래 같이 있고 싶어- neorang deo orae gachi itgo sipeo
- Will you be my Valentine(girlfriend or boyfriend)?
- 나랑 사귈래?- Narang saguillae?
- Would you like to date?
- 사귈래요? (sagwillaeyo)
If you’re just starting your Korean language journey, don’t worry about memorizing all of these different ways to say “I love you.” Just focus on 사랑해 (saranghae) and 사랑해요 (saranghaeyo).
Once you get the hang of those, then you can start experimenting with the other variations.
here are some useful resources to read more about this topic
Now that you know how to say “I love you” in Korean, it’s time to put your new skills to the test. Why not confess your love for someone special in Korean?
If you do, be sure to let us know how it went in the comments below.