Skip to Content

Recent Blog Posts

All Recent Posts

Queer Culture Festival: The "It's OK" Campaign

Printer-friendly version
Check out this online event, which has gathered art of LGBTQIA individuals as part of an "It's OK" campaign under the Korean Queer Culture Festival. Submissions include the following beauties. The exhibit can also be seen at the Queer Culture Festival.

Even if you're a couple, it's ok (Source)

Caption: Even if you're not mine, it's ok (Source)

From their website:

Participate in the "It's OK" campaign! Let's show ourselves! A project removing a bit of prejudice! "These People" will send our message to the world. All of the numerous prejudices and complaints directed toward the LGBT community such as "People of the same sex shouldn't kiss" or "Allowing someone to change their sex is the worst" or "Homos are the main culprit of HIV/AIDS" have shrunk and tired out the lives of LGBT individuals. Should we really appear so poorly and ashamed? Why shouldn't we? We are OK! 

I think my favorite is the mushroom and abalone (mussels? I'm not the best at distinguishing shellfish). Wonder why no abalone plus abalone was included though...

Caption: It Goes Well Together (Source)

To see more submitted art, head to their website, or to interact with the "It's OK" campaign, you can follow their Facebook or Instagram @itsokpeople.

51. – 54. Irang, The Venti, Caffe e Cibo, Crema (Busan)

Printer-friendly version
51. IRANG Coffee and Brunch, Gwangan, Busan.

51. IRANG Coffee and Brunch, Gwangan, Busan.

52. The Venti, Jangsan, Busan.

52. The Venti, Jangsan, Busan.

53. Caffe e cibo, Jangsan, Busan.

53. Caffe e Cibo, Jangsan, Busan.

54. Crema, Namcheon, Busan.

54. Crema, Namcheon, Busan.

JPDdoesROK is a former news editor/writer in New Jersey, USA, who served a one-year tour of duty in Dadaepo/Jangnim, Saha-gu, Busan from February 2013 to February 2014. He is now a teacher in Gimhae.

New Blog?

Printer-friendly version
I've moved. 

I'm No Picasso
This is a tale of the seaports where chance brings the traveler: he clambers a hillside and such things come to pass.
In Imminent Danger
Bits and pieces about Korean literature and translation philosophy



Printer-friendly version
Am I really coming back to blogging? I don’t know. I feel like I might be. Things couldn’t be more different now from how they were seven years ago when I started the old blog, and it feels like the past few months in particular have been pivotal. New house, new job, sorta new husband, I guess. Lots of new interests and a lot of changes in lifestyle brought on by this job. A lot of new things that I didn’t feel were nearly as available to me before, because I wasn’t comfortable enough with the language and I never really knew when I might be leaving. 

I’m also learning a lot. I mean, a lot. 

I don’t know what this is, but I’m going to give it a shot. I think the old blog just started to feel too old. I’m not going to delete it or anything. It happened. You know. 

While I try to figure out what I’m doing here, enjoy this photo of the view from our new living room window. We've also got a ton of outdoor space, including one enclosed veranda running the length of the house on one side, with this maehwa tree and one other, a big front porch, a roof (with terrifying old rusty spiral stairs) and two open veranda spaces on the back, but we haven't gotten around to cleaning them yet (moving into a gated house in the torrential rain was enough for one weekend).

Chatting with the grandmother who runs the only little shop in our little back-alley neighborhood, we found out our new place is known in the neighborhood as the 매화나무 집 (maehwa tree house). I just did a story on maesil last month, so I think I was more excited that I would’ve otherwise been to see the trees when we looked at the place. 

We went down to Gwangyang to meet Hong Ssang-ri for the story, and it was one of my favorite work trips yet. Mostly because of her, to be honest. She moved to the area when she got married and had all of the sort of usual hard times that come along with that move to the husband’s parents’ place, but she fell in love with the trees. Since then, she’s built a massive maesil empire while traveling the world to learn about different organic and environmentally-friendly farming methods. Her food is pretty incredible as well. 

She sent us all packing with bellies full of maesil and massive, heavy gift bags stuffed with her products. She told us a lot of great stories and made us laugh more times than I could count. If you get a chance to go and see her and her beautiful trees, you absolutely should. 

Maybe later tonight or tomorrow I’ll tell the story of the co-op you should absolutely not join, and the one that you should. I don’t want to taint a post about Hong with those shenanigans. I was mad, though. 

Something to look forward to, then.

These are the photos from Gwangyang, including the amazing kongguksu and yeonip-bap (rice steamed in a lotus leaf) we had for lunch. Our photographer is like some kind of water witch for amazing food and pointed us to this little roadside shack above the river in the middle of nowhere. He’s not actually a witch – he just happened to remember, as we were passing by, that he’d done the photos for a story about the owner ten years before, and her food was amazing. He didn’t tell us that until we were nearly finished with the meal, though. (Lotus rice photo featuring ghost hand of food photographer in ironically hypocritical move.)

No Public Route for Queer Revolution's Pride Parade?

Printer-friendly version
The Pride Parade is this Sunday, June 28th from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the evening. After all the difficulties we had to deal with to get the parade accepted in the first place, I just want to send out one more congratulatory message to all of the organizers of pride this year who made sure the Pride Parade could take place.

The KQF website has basic English information on the pride parade, but I realized that their Korean website is much more detailed. I saw some questions on Facebook asking for more details on the route of the parade, so here I am writing this post.

First off, the parade will be taking place in Seoul Plaza. There will be a large contingency of homophobic Christian groups protesting the parade, so if you want to avoid their hullabaloo use exit 6 of City Hall Station. Starting at 11 in the morning, you can enjoy the various LGBTQIA booths, talk to activists, and obviously just hang out. The parade is probably going to start around 5 or 6.

As for the route... from the Korean version of their official website:

Every year, we have posted here the route of our parade, but not this year. That's because by placing it here the information can be used to block our route by those against us. We will walk along a road of love and justice. This road will never be blocked by hatred and homophobia. The day of the parade, we will go where we can go. You can find out the route when you come on the 28th! 

So, there you go. Less details then previous years, but all to make sure that we can have a fantastic parade! Hope to see you there.

How To: Prepare for and Pass the Epik Interview

Printer-friendly version
Before I get started, I want to make it clear that I'm not just going to tell you exactly what happened in my interview, because that doesn't seem fair. What I can do is tell you all the dumb things I wish I hadn't done and the useful things I wish I had done, in hopes that you will have a better time of it than I did.

First off, make sure Skype works on whatever computer you plan to be in front of during the interview. I know this seems obvious, but trust me on this one: check and double check so there won't be any unforeseen technical difficulties. You know what they say about people who assume.

Get it? GET IT??

In the same theme, unless you use Skype all the time and have somehow figured out a way to NOT act like a total spaz while talking through it, I'd suggest practicing a few times with a friend or family member until it feels a bit more normal and you're not constantly staring at your own face in the camera and wondering what you normally do with your hands. Hold two coffee cups if it helps.

Next, and this might sound obvious, plan what you want to say. I'm not saying you need to write a full speech word for word and memorize it, because that would be overkill, but I think it's a good idea to write down a few key points. Why do you want to teach? Why did you choose Korea? What do you know about Korea? How do you deal with culture shock? What are your thoughts on Dokdo?

Okay, that last one is probably a bad idea unless they specifically bring it up. I made the mistake of hubris; I assumed that, with my intimidating elocutionary skills, I'd do just fine. No need to prep here! Haha! Which of course led to my roommate having to use her mime skills to remind me that I love Korean music and understand Korean drinking culture. Seriously. Music and drinking, two of my favorite things in the world, and I could think of neither of them under pressure.

Lastly, as I've said before, don't panic. I'm pretty sure the interview is just to make sure you're a human being capable of English speech. Plus, at least in my case, the interviewer was super chill and super nice. Your EPIK recruiter is not your enemy. Be honest, explain why you want to teach, and odds are you'll be fine. And if not? Well, there are plenty of other fish in the sea. EPIK is not the only option, so seriously, don't stress.

I mean, if they let a weirdo like me in, there's hope for just about anyone, right?

Teacher Pretty
Middle school ESL teacher, lover of pink, eater of kimchi, addicted to Etude House, expert procrastinator, meeter of 2-dimensionial popstars: Ana. That's me.

About   Teaching   Advice   Beauty   How-To   Food   Langauge   Tumblr

47. – 50. Makimaki Roasters, Grangba, Chung Choon Cafe, Blue Windmill (Gimhae)

Printer-friendly version
47. Makimaki Roasters. This is part of a group of I am assuming independent coffee shops, which include one called Another Coffee Company. I hope that name was given tongue-in-cheek.
47. Makimaki Roasters. My friend, Danielle, loves this place. This is part of a group of I am assuming independent coffee shops, which include one called Another Coffee Company. I hope that name was given tongue-in-cheek.
48. We were at a loss as to the name of this place. Grangba? It appears to be that, which does not translate into anything. Suggestions welcome.
48. We were at a loss as to the name of this place. Grangba? It appears to be that, which does not translate into anything. Suggestions welcome.
49. Chung Choon Cafe is located next to Grangba, which may or may not mean anything.
49. Chung Choon Cafe is located next to Grangba, which may or may not mean anything.
50. Blue Windmill Cafe and Bakery. This looks very cute on the outside and seemed promising. Then, I went inside and there were pastries filled with hot dogs, a la Paris Baguette. Located very close to Chung Choon Cafe and Grangba.
50. Blue Windmill Cafe and Bakery. This looks very cute on the outside and seemed promising. Then, I went inside and there were pastries filled with hot dogs, a la Paris Baguette. Located very close to Chung Choon Cafe and Grangba.

ESL Speaking Games and Activities

Printer-friendly version

Conversation or speaking class lesson planning made easy! You’ll be able to find some awesome ESL speaking games or activities for your teenage or adult students to do in class in less than 5 minutes, guaranteed. It’s the book you really can’t afford not to have in your library.

There are 39 No-Prep/Low-Prep ESL speaking activities and games that are all tested and proved to work in the real-world, with real university and middle/high school students. They range from the most simple of warm-up games to some advice on how you can get your students to make videos or posters for some task-based learning.

I’ve been teaching English in South Korea for the past decade, to all ages and levels and am CELTA/DELTA certified. All the activities are student-centered, and have useful teaching tips to help you implement them with your classes.

Buy it now on Amazon:

39 No-Prep/Low-Prep ESL Speaking Activities: For Teenagers and Adults

The post ESL Speaking Games and Activities appeared first on ESL Speaking: Games and Activities.

Jackie Bolen: How to Get a University Job In Korea


My Life! Teaching in a Korean University

University Jobs



Vlog Entry #18: Finding Nathan

Printer-friendly version

Happy Father’s Day to the best dad I could ever hope for! Dad, thank you for your endless love and support, and for giving me all the tools I’ve needed to succeed during this crazy adventure I’ve been on. I may be 12,000 miles away for now, but soon I’ll be using that compass you gave me before I left to find my way home. I love you so much.


To view the original post and other great content, visit Korealizations at:

Like Korealizations on Facebook and subscribe on YouTube! Thanks for reading!





Syndicate content

Koreabridge - RSS Feeds
Features @koreabridge     Blogs  @koreablogs
Jobs @koreabridgejobs  Classifieds @kb_classifieds

Koreabridge - Facebook Group

Koreabridge - Googe+ Group