A really thick soup, this curry-cauliflower recipe from Grilled...
A really thick soup, this curry-cauliflower recipe from Grilled Cheese Kitchen, is a favorite of mine.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 5 oz [140 g] mild, medium, or sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, olive oil, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp black pepper and toss to mix well. Spread the cauliflower in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake until softened and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Let cool on pan.
- In a small soup pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute longer (do not let the garlic burn).
- Whisk the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the milk, cream, and vegetable stock.
- Add the roasted cauliflower, curry powder, and cayenne pepper and stir to combine.
- Raise the heat to bring to a low boil, then turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes longer.
- Add the cheese and stir in one direction until the cheese is fully melted into the soup. Remove from the heat.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup into a smooth puree in the pot. If you don’t have an immersion blender, puree the soup in a blender, working in batches on low speed. Remove the plug from the lid, cover the lid with a clean towel, and hold down the lid while blending, or the hot soup will blow the lid off and make a mess in the kitchen.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper.