a little complaining never hurt anyone
I know it might seem unbelievable, but we have bad days. Today, everything that we warned you about in our, I wish I’d known blog, has completely eaten away at me. As an expat, sometimes we revert back to, In _______ (insert your home country here)… Today that is what I did. We have moments where we wish that the customs and attitudes and everything was the same, but then we remember there was a reason why we left and why we love where we have landed.
I am writing a disclaimer… I love living here. I love the country and the people…as you can tell from our blog and previous experiences. But at the moment I am having one of those days where I want to lose my mind!! I am sharing because that is what we do with blogs. Please know that if I read someone else’s blog that complained like this I would tell them to get over it, move on and stop complaining… advice taken I promise.
Here’s what annoyed the crap out of me today.
1. almost got hit by a stupid scooter as I was crossing a cross walk…I had the little green walking man. ps Korea, scooters are meant for the road and must follow car laws, people are meant for the sidewalks and crosswalks!
2. when I exited the elevator, 3 people came rushing at me to get in…all I wanted to do was get out. ps Korea, people coming out of elevators have the right of way.
3. the elevator stopped on 4 floors where no one got in or out, but someone must have had the need to press each of the 4 elevators to come up and get them for fear of waiting an extra minute for just one! ps Korea, use the stairs if you live on floor two and only call one elevator should you need it.
4. no one can walk straight!!!! when I am coming at you, stay where you are don’t cross in front of me. ps. Korea stay to the right except when passing.
5. the underground shopping mall is a good 90 degrees…turn on the air! ps. Korea, air conditioning is better to kill germs in very busy places (especially underground places)
6. my students are adults…throw away your own cups after class ps. Korea, pick up after yourselves.
7. cell phone store worker spit a gigantic loogie as he was walking right in front of me, not only did I almost pass out from the sound, but I had to lose my footing to avoid stepping in your saliva. ps. Korea…DON’T Hawk loogies
8. our hallway to our apartment is hot, humid and smells of cigarettes, even though it is a new building and there are signs everywhere that say don’t smoke. ps. Korea…respect your property!
9. students, ladies, men with man bags…my classroom chairs are limited and for the use of human rear-ends only, please remove your bag and place it on the floor! It will be ok. ps. Korea…it’s just a bag!
so now, as I sit in our cute little neighborhood coffee shop drinking my steamed milk… i’m doing my best to relax, unwind and Get Over It, maybe I should be drinking Soju instead.
Filed under: Entertainment, Living in Korea Tagged: attitude, complaining, Elevator, expat, Korea, life, manners, soju, South Korea, Travel