I like making this ten-minute tomato soup recipe from the book,...
I like making this ten-minute tomato soup recipe from the book, Grilled Cheese Kitchen, but it takes me much more than ten minutes to make. Probably three times as long, haha!
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pimenton (smoked paprika)
- ½ tsp piment d’Espelette chile powder or cayenne pepper
- 3-¼ cups [780 ml] strained tomatoes
- 2-¼ cups [540 ml] chicken stock
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Creme fraiche, sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt for garnish
- In a small soup pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter. When the butter is melted, whisk in the flour, sugar, salt, pimenton, and piment d’Espelette. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture has a nutty, savory aroma, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk the strained tomatoes, chicken stock, and vinegar into the butter mixture until smooth. Raise the heat to bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and simmer gently for about 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche, and serve immediately.