I make fermented soybean paste stew (된장찌개, doenjang jigae)...
I make fermented soybean paste stew (된장찌개, doenjang jigae) without meat – but there is fish in the broth.
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, cut into ½-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, cut into ½-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 green Korean chili pepper (청고추, cheong-gochu), stemmed and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-½ cups water
- 7 dried anchovies, guts removed
- 3 tablespoons fermented soybean paste (된장, doenjang)
- 6 ounces medium-firm tofu, cut into ½-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Add water and dried anchovies in a heavy pot. Boil for 15 minutes. Strain out anchovies.
- Add potato, onion, zucchini, chili pepper, and garlic to the pot. Cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the soybean paste, mixing well. Cover and cook for 10 minutes longer over low heat.
- Add the tofu and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Top with green onions and serve with rice.