Fines for Overstaying a Visa

Printer-friendly version
After calling immigration, and being told that there were no fines (definitely wrong, but that's the person you want to speak to if you have violated the law, ha), I looked them up and here they are for you.  Although current as of August 19th 2014, please note these can be changed easily by immigration.

Overstay period                       Fine (KRW)
Less than 3 months                100,000 - 500,000
Less than 1 year                    500,000 - 2 million
Less than 2 years                  2 million - 4 million
2 years or more                    4 million - 20 million

It appears the thinking was that every three months is worth about 500,000 won, and that each year is worth about 2 million won, although there is substantial discretion for officers, particularly in the last, largest category.  Like any order, a fine is subject to a court review if you are willing to expend the money and time.

Immigration Control Act, Regulations, Attachment 7 (Standards for Determining the Amount of Fines), enacted February 29, 2012.
출입국관리법 시앵규칙 [ 별포 7] < 2012.2.29> 별표 개정 범칙금의 양정기준



Follow a Korean Lawyer


Have a question? Read the disclaimer, and contact me.


Email *

Message *



Joined: 06/20/2018
Re: Overstayed as Tourist
I was arrested oct 27 got prison for 5days nov 2 2016 for overstaying in korea i was a tourist there for years but then i had a job and stayed over the due date of my visa. Now i am currently working in the philippines as a exec. Operation in a company who handles reservations I wanted to know if there is a chance or when can i come back to korea and legally work or for tour again? Looking forward for feedback. Thank you very much
Joined: 07/02/2012
Re: Overstayed as Tourist

I think you can write to immigration. They have QnA. I know my mate was banned for 10 years, but I think that was working here, not visiting.

Joined: 10/09/2018
Re: Fines for Overstaying a Visa

Good day,

Hello, My name is Zara, I just want to inquire about my case. I am 3 years overstay here in South Korea and fell inlove with a Korean guy. We’re on our first year relationship and he really wants to marry me here. I just want to ask if how much will it cost to pay my fine and hopefully have a married visa without going back to my country. I pray that you will response. Thank you.
Joined: 07/02/2012
Re: Fines for Overstaying a Visa

They have Amnesties sometimes. Consideration for special circumstances, but I think you will be run out of here for a while.

Joined: 10/18/2018
Re: Fines for Overstaying a Visa

hello zara my name is gabriel

my advise to you is:

fisrt step go to your ambassy take one paper that could show you are not married in your country second step you have to go to city hall you and your boyfriend make marie papers registration third you have to go to immigration with your husband together and pay your fine but 3 years is too much better you go back with your husband and take marie visa in your country and comeback together before march 2019 it wouldnt be complicate 


Login or register to post comments

Koreabridge - RSS Feeds 
Features @koreabridge     Blogs  @koreablogs
Jobs @koreabridgejobs  Classifieds @kb_classifieds

Koreabridge - Facebook Group