Back To Basics: Brushing Your Teeth
For the past week, I’ve been struggling to learn something new:
How To Brush My Teeth.
No, I’m not a gross girl who doesn’t brush her teeth… but I have apparently been brushing my teeth the wrong way… my whole life!
It doesn’t matter how great you look or how white your teeth are if you don’t
have clean and healthy teeth.
-Improper brushing can lead to Gum Disease (which is mainly caused by plaque and tartar build up)
*Gum Disease can lead to Gingivitis, Periodontitis, and can contribute to/ be a warning sign for Heart Disease and Stroke, Diabetes, Chronic Kidney Disease, and Pre-term birth.
-It is estimated that 75% of Americans have some form of Gum Disease
I’ve mentioned my love of flossing before… but I haven’t been brushing correctly.
* I’ve been brushing my teeth back and forth in a sideways motion, which is why I have a receding gum line and sensitive teeth before the age of 30
(but I guess it’s better than a receding hairline, right?!?)
* My dentist informed me that I should floss first, and brush in an up and down manner across the teeth (teeth together) and back and forth on the top of the teeth (teeth apart).
- When you brush sideways, it’s basically sawing away at your gum line little
by little (since it’s basically going against the grain)
About.com, WebMD, and EHow all seem to differ slightly on the “correct way to brush”, but there are some things that you can’t really argue with.
* Use a Soft bristled brush- Medium and Hard Bristled brushes are too harsh and can wear away the gum line.
(Korean toothbrushes are the BEST. I used to have my friends stock up for me, but now they sell them in the states)
* Be gentle (Or else you’ll have receding gums and wear away your tooth enamel)
* Don’t forget to floss! There’s a lot of gross things that can get stuck between your teeth~ Get it out!
* Visit your dentist every 6 months. It’ll save you a lot more trouble in the end.
So if you don’t take care of your teeth and brush twice a day (yuck!), or if you’ve been brushing incorrectly, hopefully you picked up some tips.
And most importantly, don’t forget to SMILE (but make sure you’re taking care of those pearly whites before you do!)
*~ Have a Beautiful Day! ~*
- The Art of Contouring- 4 Easy Steps to a Fab New You Koreans in Korea are apparently huge fans of plastic surgery,...
- Loreal Double Extend Mascara As a makeup artist, I find that one of the...
- A Few Quick Tips: Skin Rituals Pros Do At Home Taking care of your skin is one of the most important...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.