I have heard stories, anecdotal mostly, how even the scent of coffee can cause one great need to have a poo. Does this happen to you? Because, I also read recently that one of the sneaky causes of constipation can be drinking too much coffee.
Here are some coffee shops in Korea that have English that may raise an eyebrow or two, causing several heads to be scratched in the process.
88. Fall In Coffee (Gimhae). I have seen “fall in”… so many times in Korea, that it’s pretty obvious that a less-than-correct (at least to us. I understand how malleable language is and how one established way is not the only way. So shut up) interpretation took hold a while ago (the king remains “You are falling in coffee scent” in Nampo-dong. I really need to get back there!). This shop, which I have heard is pretty decent, just sounds like its advocating something potentially painful.
89. Yoger Presso (Naeoedong, Gimhae). This is a chain I have seen pretty frequently throughout both Gimhae and Busan, and I am sure it’s nationwide. And, I get the allure of Portmanteau. But, while I get that “presso” is for “espresso,” what the hell is “Yoger” for? Yogurt? It’s also yet another time I have seen “393th” amidst the Korean writing. Let’s ignore the “th,” native English speakers. What does this number mean?
90. ToPresso (Dongsang-dong, Gimhae). And, here’s the other.
91. Cafe Droptop (Yulha Cafe Street, Jangyu, Gimhae). This is one of those, like Cafe Cantata, that I first saw in convenience stores. Wait, it’s a shop too? Which came first, the chicken or the caffeinated egg?
92. Coffine Gurunaru (Dalmaji Hill, Busan). What the hell is “coffine?” Is it actually not a coffee shop at all? Am I being trolled? I should probably go inside to investigate. Or, not.
93. Alice2046 (Gwangan, Busan). Who is Alice? Why 2046? Is this the coffee of the future? To be fair, it’s a decent cafe, with a lovely view of the water. It’s also a TIME MACHINE.
94. good & goods (Samgye-dong, Gimhae). But, does it suck?
JPDdoesROK is a former news editor/writer in New Jersey, USA, who served a one-year tour of duty in Dadaepo/Jangnim, Saha-gu, Busan from February 2013 to February 2014. He is now a teacher in Gimhae.