Liquid Arts Open Mic & Workshop
The Liquid Arts Open Mic & Workshop
--Supported by Poetry Plus+ & the Vinyl Underground
What is the Liquid Arts Open Mic & Workshop? Well, it’s essentially an open stage for all comers in spoken word, literary works, theater, physical theater, music, comedy, film, visual art, whatever goes, etc. beginning on Saturday, April 15th at 9pm, at the Vinyl Underground in the Kyungsung University area.
Before I begin further, please let me stress: this is not a Poetry Plus show. It’s not a proper show at all. The event is an open mic & workshop. Here are the folks we are targeting to participate in this new open mic event:
1. Aspiring performers who have very little or no stage experience.
2. Performers who are new to Korea but who have not had a chance to be on stage & introduce their talents to the community.
3. Veteran Busan performers who are unable to attend the other weeknight open mics in Busan.
4. Veteran performers seeking to present raw material or branch out into other genres.
5. Performers looking to create collaborative work either within a particular discipline like co-songwriting or across disciplines like theater & music or poetry & music or music & dance. Whatever. All good.
6. Theater folks who have an upcoming performance & would like to do a live rehearsal of a particular scene.
The event will start at 9:00 PM & go until whenever. We’ll try to do the non-music related stuff first, but that’s not a rule, so anything can actually happen whenever the ebb & flow allows for opportunistic moments. Performers are free to show up whenever. However, the later one shows up the more exposed he or she is to the whims & trajectory of the early arrivals, the crowd & night. There will be no official online sign up. Stage time is officially secured once a performer shows up. We’ll keep a list on the bar. Performers are encouraged to seek critiques & engage in conversations; those who witness the performances are free to offer critiques. This is how we develop the workshop aspect of the event.
For this event, we have a special wrinkle: Kristian Hart will be preparing an "Improv Bag" and we will include some improve theatrics sporadically throughout the event. Anyone may participate in this aspect of the event!
An audience is welcome to attend, of course! No one has to be a performer to attend. Anyone can show up & be part of an audience! The goal is to make a multi-artistic discipline open mic & workshop where artists of all stripes can hang out, trade ideas, & develop their performance chops. Since there is no other event of this kind in Busan, I humbly ask for the patience of all the participants & attendees. Putting on this event will be a learning process for the organizers as well, so there will be flaws & mistakes. Bear with us. All we can do is promise to get better each time out.
K, Kristian, & DongHa
KSU is stop 212 on the Green Line. Go up & out exit 3. Walk straight past Starbucks. Take the first right. Go to 2.5 blocks. It's on the right. Look for the famous Andy Warhol banana image on a sign. Go down the steps.