Where to get an Xbox 360 in Busan or online

Hey

So I've been looking to get an Xbox 360 from somewhere in Busan that hasn't been modded. I've found the odd one in massive superstores, but I'd like to find somewhere i can buy games etc from, or possibly even a 2nd hand console. For a country that is so crazy about games, I haven't seen any video game stores anywhere! I've seen a few online, but they're pretty expensive on the sites I've been on.

Can anyone give any advice on this, would massively appreciate some help! Itching to get on, I get my first pay cheque next week and i've earmarked the cash already.

Cheers!

Xbox Discussion thread...

Some months back someone posted a discussion thread asking the same question.  I responded to them, at length, about the independent shops that can be found in Seomyeon.  Here is what I wrote:

"If you're in Busan, there are a handful of game shops in the Seomyeon underground shopping area.  These shops are great because they take your used games in for cash or credit, and they give WAY more than any EB or GameStop store back home would.  Keep in mind that the games they sell are sometimes region coded for Korean XBox consoles, or if they're region free they can sometimes be in Korean only.  I think Modern Warfare 2 is region free, so if you purchased your console in North America you should have no trouble playing a Korean copy on your system.

Directions are a bit tricky, but I'll do my best.  If you're at the main Seomyeon subway junction (after you come up the stairs from platform X), there are three ways you can go.  You can walk up the main hallway towards the Lotte Department store, where the subway entrance is (there's a Krispy Kreme there), but there are two other hallways that stretch out that sport tons of clothing shops.  So stand with your back to the hallway that leads to Lotte, and go left.  You'll know you're going the right way when you pass through two open sets of double doors, and there will be a small Dunkin Donuts on your right.  Keep going and you'll pass the first game shop on your right.  This one is small and usually doesn't have much to offer.  The one I recommend is the farthest shop, but it's also the largest with a massive selection of games.  Anyway, after you pass the first shop you just keep walking, eventually you'll see another game shop on your left, and then as you keep walking there will be two more on your right.  You'll be able to spot these shops easily because they usually sport posters in their windows.

My favorite shop is the farthest one on the right.  You'll have to walk a good 5 minutes before you get to it.  You'll pass by a water fountain "meeting area", sure to be filled with senior citizens, and then you'll come up on a junction that offers two exits that take you up to street level.  It's just beyond that, and you can't miss it because it's the largest shop with two big open entrances and it's well-lit.  It's called "One Stop", and the woman who runs it is awesome to deal with, despite speaking zero English.

Another great alternative, if you have a North American console, is a fantastic website called play-asia.com. They offer games that are region coded for North America, Japan, and the rest of Asia (China/Korea).  So if you don't want to chance buying a game that could be all in Korean, you could order a North American copy from the site.  The standard shipping to Korea is free, but it takes about a week to arrive.  The other downside to using this site is the games are a bit pricey, especially when compared to the independently owned game shops in Seomyeon (their prices are extremely reasonable, especially when you're trading in games).  Also, the game shops in Seomyeon are usually anywhere from 3,000-8,000won cheaper than if you were to buy games from the department stores or E-marts.

So I hope you're able to find the game shop in Seomyeon with no problems.  I should also tell you that their selection tends to change around quite often, and because MW2 has been out for a while they might not have any copies.  You might get lucky and stumble on a used copy, though.  Like I said, play-asia.com is your best alternative."

Check out the thread at this link.

I think it's worth noting, however, that unless you're buying a brand new XBox, they can be wholly unreliable.  I've had a total of 4 XBox consoles die on me, though all of them were the original launch model.  I just have my PS3 now, and I'm never going back to the Xbox.  The newly redesigned, sleeker looking "slim" models (which are the only ones that can be purchased brand new) are definitely the way to go if you plan on buying an XBox.  I absolutely DO NOT recommend purchasing a second-hand console unless it is this new model.  These are also identified as the "Kinect Ready" consoles, and I've seen a couple used packages pop up on the Koreabridge classifieds for sale , though they were admittedly a bit overpriced (usually by about 100,000won or so).  If you're buying from a fellow expat, be sure to do some research on the value of the games.  You can always check the used prices as the shops in Seomyeon.

Also, if you buy a Korean XBox, there will be compatibility and language issues with some of the games (this is not an issue with the PS3).  The Xbox uses the region coding system, and some games are published for Korea in the Korean language only.  This means that if there's a game that you want, and it's only in Korean, an imported English language version might not work on your console if the North American region code is incompatible for that particular game.

I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but the PS3 is really a hassle-free system.  It's far more reliable, from a quality standpoint, and you won't have much to worry about if you buy one second-hand.  There's no region coding on blu-ray games or movies, and even if a game is published in the Korean language, as long as my system language is set to English the game automatically plays in English.  Also consider that there are far better games coming out for the PS3 this year than there are for the XBox.

Just, consider your options wisely.  I miss my XBox and I wish it hadn't let me down on so many occasions, but I am totally loving the convenience and peace of mind my PS3 has given me.  Still, those new Xbox consoles seem to be damn reliable, and XBox Live is awesome if you play a lot of games online.  So, in the end, it all depends on what kind of games you like to play, and what you're looking to get out of the console.

Hope this helps!

Also, one last thing...don't

Also, one last thing...don't buy anything gaming-related from department stores or grocery/home living stores like Emart or Homeplus.  They are overpriced, and usually have no clue about what they're selling beyond putting the stuff in the display case and affixing a price tag.

The people that run those independent shops in Seomyeon, namely a shop called "One Stop" (the last shop in that corridor that I give directions to), know their shit.  They know games, they know reasonable prices for buying and selling used games, and they hook you up with discounts and hold on to stuff for you if you're a good customer.  They also deal in used consoles, and they don't jerk you around on the warranty and other such things.

Oh, and one of the shops moved so all of them are located on the right hand side, as you walk down that hallway.  They're all spread out a bit from one another, but the first one (the least impressive shop) is right after that Dunkin Donuts.  That underground is a labyrinth.

Thanks so much for those in

Thanks so much for those in depth comments, they really are hugely appreciated. It's great to hear from someone who clearly knows their stuff.

It does sound like getting a PS3 makes far more sense logistically and in terms on reliability - the issue for me is that all of my friends have Xboxes and i'd like to game online with them, largely on Street Fighter which is on both consoles. As much as I am now tempted to get a PS3 instead (you're right about the games, looks like this will be a good year for Sony), the online gaming is the main reason I'm getting a console, so looks like I'll have to go for the awkward Microsoft option. Thanks a lot, Bill.

In terms of buying the games, I have one question (if you don't mind answering one more after writing so much!). I was thinking of buying the games online from the Xbox store and downloading them onto the hard drive, with the hope that having an Xbox set to English would prioritize games in English online. Is this a fool's dream?!

If this is the case, after a lot of researching I found this site which looks really useful for checking whether a game will be in the language you want or not...

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-xbox360_compatibility_guide-49-en-84-...

do you think "Asian" Xboxes includes Korean games, I know it sounds stupid but they do have a separate column for Japan. I'm hoping so, just glancing through I do see a few "Asian" games with Korean in the language box.

Thanks again for your advice, extremely helpful knowledge from a gamer in the know to a gamer in need

Hey, don't even mention it. 

Hey, don't even mention it.  Most of what I posted was a simple matter of copying and pasting my posts from a previous discussion thread. 

I completely understand your reasons for wanting the Xbox, because as I said before, XBox Live is definitely the way to go if you're interested in gaming online.  There is almost no comparison (save for the annual LIVE subscription fees).  So you are definitely welcome...but my name is not "Bill" LOL (don't know where you got that).

You have asked another very good question, the XBox Live subscription and purchasing your games via direct digital download (a fantastic alternative so long as you have the hard drive space).  So it's EXTREMELY important to note this next bit of info; make sure you are able to create your XBox Live account with your North American billing address and info, make sure that you set your account to the country of your preference (Canada/U.S. and not Korea), and you should have no problem downloading English language games directly from the XBox Live marketplace.  Keep in mind, though, that there are still a lot of games not yet available for purchase in this manner.

Now, I am telling you this while under the assumption that you can create a North American LIVE account on a Korean XBox.  My Xbox was from Canada, so I was using my Canadian LIVE account.  I think most people who live here who purchase a Korean XBox have no trouble with this, but just do some research to be sure.

Also, I did include a recommendation for Play-asia.com in my original response.  That is a fantastic website for acertaining region compatibility and lanuage info for games.  So definitely use that as a reference if you're ever unsure.

Usually Asian consoles refers to everywhere but Japan.  Region 3 is usually the region code for every country in Asia-Pacific except for Japan, which uses Region 2 region coding for games and DVDs (minus Blu-rays, I think).  So yes, Play-asia usually includes Korea in the "Asia" category (though China is their default country, because they operate out of Hong Kong).

Also, I'd just like to reiterate that if you decide to buy a used console from a fellow expat, ask lots of questions and test it out THOROUGHLY before handing over your money.  My last XBox was actually a purchase from an expat who swindled me.  He left the country three days after selling it to me and the console died a week later.

Just, be careful.  I recommend buying new (it's almost always a better deal anyways).